The 4-H SySTEMatics program is a unique initiative designed to enrich the learning experiences for middle school youth and encourage their pursuit of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) careers. The program partners with schools in the City of Milwaukee, and provides STEM and college prep education resources and opportunities for 7th and 8th grade youth.
Youth participate in 8 STEM lessons and 3 pre-college lessons at their school throughout the academic year. Opportunities include a one day visit to UW-Waukesha where the students complete STEM workshops in the college labs and are introduced to a wide variety of STEM fields. The culminating event of the program is the annual Science Fair at the end of the school year, where youth present their STEM projects to professionals and are awarded 4-H ribbons. This program is designed to get youth engaged and excited about STEM and their future!
Help Youth Excel as a Volunteer
Assist Milwaukee middle school youth complete science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) activities and familiarize them with college options! Volunteers in the program will work with motivated youth through various learning activities that enrich youth academically and socially to prepare them for a successful future. The volunteer opportunity is provided through the UW-Extension Milwaukee County 4-H SySTEMatics program. The program runs from January through May and training is provided in November and December.
Don’t worry, teaching experience is not required!!
Volunteer Levels: You Choose Your Level
Assistant Teacher (30-40 hours total)
- Help the Lead Teacher during weekly STEM meetings, which may include teaching and assisting with lessons: passing out materials, answering questions, etc.
- Be a role model and talk to youth about your experiences in school, STEM field, etc.
- Attend the Annual Science Fair in late May.
- Give consent for a background check and participate in a youth protection and STEM curriculum training.
Guest Teacher (5-15 hours total)
- Teach 2 to 4 STEM lessons to a group of students; the lead teacher will be present at all times.
- Invited to help with the Science Fair Competition/Graduation Event
- Participate in a STEM curriculum training.
If you are interested and would like more information, please contact Eva Terry, Program Coordinator at 414-256-4627 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Click on this document for Program FAQ Sheet about the program.
Dial 711 (TDD) for Relay for Hearing Impaired.
Click on the Facebook logo to access the 4-H sySTEMatics page.
A program brought in partnership with the following organizations: