New Gardeners Start Here: New Garden Plot Request Form
- The Extension Milwaukee County office is closed due to the COVID-19 outbreak. View details of the office closure here.
- The Garden Rental Desk is closed while the office is closed. Our staff will still be available remotely via phone 414-615-0538 or email at Milwaukee.Garden.Rentals@extension.wisc.edu
- We will begin processing returning gardener registrations on 3/31/20. If you are only able to pay in cash (please do not mail cash!) and need an extension or have other questions or concerns, please email or call the Garden Rental Desk at 414-615-0538 or email at Milwaukee.Garden.Rentals@extension.wisc.edu
- Prices have changed for the 2020 Garden Season. This Director’s Letter to gardeners explains the price changes for the 2020 season.
- We regret that Garden Rentals will not be taking credit cards this season. We are still able to process cash, checks, and money orders. (How to get a money order.)
To dwell is to garden.
Grow your own heirloom, exotic and pesticide-free vegetables. Gardening is a great way to meet new people and get some exercise. Rent a garden plot today!
Use this map to find your local Extension Community Garden!
Extension Milwaukee County rents garden plots in many parts of the county. We also provide technical assistance to neighborhood groups that run their own community gardens. For more information about renting a garden, read the information below and contact the garden rental assistant at 414-615-0538 or Milwaukee.Garden.Rentals@Extension.Wisc.edu
A garden is a grand teacher. It teaches patience and careful watchfulness; it teaches industry and thrift; above all, it teaches entire trust.
Gardens and green space are important in the urban environment. Residents at health care facilities, apartments and condominiums may not have the opportunity or space to garden. Unused urban open space can provide the needed land to build gardens. Gardens provide space to grow nutritious food and gardeners can save money on produce. Gardening is a great family recreational activity. Participants share traditions with each other and their children.
To learn more about the value of community gardening, read the “Evaluation of Community Gardens” by Jill Florence Lackey & Associates, February 1998. Copies are available from Dennis Lukaszewski at 414-615-0532 or Dennis.Lukaszewski@wisc.edu.
If you did not rent a garden last year and would like to request a garden for 2020 fill out the New Plot Request Form and return by email (Milwaukee.Garden.Rentals@extension.wisc.edu) or by normal mail to 6737 W Washington St, Suite 2202, West Allis, WI 53214.
The garden rental staff will assign a plot to you after April 15th when plots become available for new gardeners to rent.
In general, the garden plots do not open before the third week of May.
New gardeners will be assigned plots as they become available, but not before pre-registration for returning gardeners is complete on April 15th
If you need to contact the garden rental assistants, please leave a telephone voice mail message or send an email. We monitor the phone messages and email often but are not in the office regularly, during the off-season. If your phone call is during regular UWEX hours (8:30 AM – 4 PM) and you need immediate assistance, please dial “0″ and an operator can take your message.
|The Garden Rental desk is closed for the season. Our staff is available by email or phone if you have questions or concerns. Please use the contact information listed below.|
Leave a message at 414-615-0538 or email us at Milwaukee.Garden.Rentals@extension.wisc.edu
Cia ib lus ntawm 414-615-0538 los yog xa email rau peb ntawm Milwaukee.Garden.Rentals@extension.wisc.edu
Deje un mensaje en 414-615-0538 o envíenos un correo electrónico a Milwaukee.Garden.Rentals@extension.wisc.edu
|Office Hours (March- 2nd Week of July Only):|
The Garden Rental phone is (414) 615-0538.
Emails & calls will be answered or returned in as timely a manner as possible.
Email address: Milwaukee.Garden.Rentals@extension.wisc.edu